NEW YORK, Nov. 29, 2012 — Famed artist Jim Power, aka The Mosaic Man, selected as a “Featured Maker” at the first ever Etsy Holiday Popup Shop running from November 29 — December 8 in New York City. Located at 131 Greene Street in SoHo, the shop will feature a broad selection of products from across the Etsy marketplace, as well as hosting events and music each day. Additionally, for each of the 10 days, the shop will host a different Maker in its front window. This will give New Yorkers a glimpse into each artist’s creative process.
Jim, who operates a shop on Etsy featuring his one-of-a-kind line of mosaic “artwear” jumped at the opportunity.
"This is big time," Power said, himself quite amazed at the turnout, and the fact that he was able to put together the 4’ x 6’ piece in just a matter of days. "My hands will be cut up after this one! That’s a lot of glass," he added.
Jim’s latest masterpiece is a tribute to the city he calls home. “It’s a Mosaic Trail leading to The Big Apple!”
In addition to being chosen to build an original work of art, Jim had several of his mosaic belt buckles hand-picked by the Etsy Holiday Shop curators to be sold at the store.
Jim, along with his long-time collaborator, Lorraine Connelly, will be at the store on Friday, November 30, to put the finishing touches on his “Big Apple” mosaic. Feel free to stop by then or any time during the shop’s run to see Jim’s work, as well as hundreds of items from other Etsy Makers. Find unique gifts for the holidays and support independent artists!
The Etsy Holiday Shop
131 Greene Street, SoHo
New York, NY 10012
The store dates and hours of operation are:
Dates: November 29 – December 8
Times: 10am - 10pm daily
About the Etsy Holiday Shop:
• This year to celebrate Etsy is hosting its first brick-and-mortar holiday shop. From November 29 - December 8, in New York City’s Soho district, the store will not only help shoppers find special, high-quality gifts for their loved ones but share the stories of the talented Etsy sellers.
• The shop is a celebration of the spirit of Etsy - handmade & vintage, craftsmanship, one-of-a-kind*, personal, quality
• The products in the store are unique presents - as the Etsy holiday ads say, “give the gifts that get them”.
• Items have been bought at full price by Etsy and will be resold to the public at no additional cost, meaning this is a great way to support independent artists.
• Gift Curators are individuals with distinctive style who are showing you how Etsy has items that fit their personality.
• Programming is a broad look at what the Etsy community is all about - fun, sharing, inspiration, curiosity, creativity, imagination, skill
• Featured sellers were chosen for their beautiful work and their personal story of being an Etsy seller. They are in the store to help customers connect with the individuals behind the products, and to see the level of craft that goes into each product.
• Etsy “gift guides” helpers are there to connect you directly with the thousands of sellers and products we didn’t have space to put in the store. The shop is a selection to help customers understand the breadth of Etsy but it doesn’t explore the depth. For every leather bag in the shop, there are dozens more online. Our helpers can show you what else is available, help you find something great for the person who is hard to buy for, and just to explore and learn more about Etsy.com.
Like Jim on Facebook or Follow him on Pinterest and Twitter @MosaicManNYC
Check out The Official Mosaic Man Collection on Etsy and CafePress for belt buckles, t-shirts and a variety of other items featuring Jim’s designs. Proceeds go toward supporting Jim’s work on The Mosaic Trail.
Or you can make a fully tax-deductible donation here.